This Maven is the Co-Founder and CEO of Maven, the Global Knowledge Marketplace. He has over a decade of experience in high technology, investment research, and knowledge consulting services. As CEO of Maven, he has led the development of the world's first online microconsulting service, providing a unique opportunity for knowledge seekers to gain quick, direct insights from a vast global network of tens of thousands of professionals across all sectors, industries, and functional roles.
He began his career at Applied Materials, the world's leading provider of semiconductor capital equipment and services, where he held a variety of roles in engineering, product support, and business management and became one of the world's leading authorities on High Density Plasma Chemical Vapor Deposition (HDP-CVD). Subsequently, he served as the West Coast head of the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications practice at Gerson Lehrman Group, a global firm providing expert consulting services to large asset management firms. Most recently he served as the Director of Paid Research and Events at ThinkEquity Partners, a boutique growth-focused investment bank and institutional brokerage, where he led efforts to develop new markets and revenue sources for sell-side research products.
This Maven's expertise includes institutional-grade equity research, offshore web development, online professional networking, knowledge characterization, semantic search, and web-enabled telephony systems.
Currently serve as CEO of Maven Research, Inc., a privately held company that operates the Global Knowledge Marketplace. Members of Maven's professional network connect, consult, and profit from what they know.
Developed concept for Maven and drove formation of the company, construction of core technology platform, recruitment and growth of knowledge network, and launch of transactional micro-consulting service.
Served as ThinkEquity Partners' Director of Paid Research & Events, a role created with the goal of driving new revenue opportunities from existing institutional-focused research products, reporting directly to the CEO.
Supervised all activities relating to the firm's investor conferences, particularly content creation, sales and marketing, and day-of-show operations. Negotiated contracts with and oversaw activities of key vendors, including external conference coordinators, web developers, media planners, and venue personnel.
Delivered over $500,000 in new revenue from sponsorships and paid attendance at ThinkEquity Partners' 2007 conferences.
Increased overall attendance at ThinkEquity Partners' investor events by over 30%.
Developed new event concepts, including ThinkClinic - An Educational Forum for Healthcare Investors and ThinkGreen - The Premier Gathering for GreenTech Industry Executives, Investors, Influencers, and Policymakers. Worked extensively with both Research and Investment Banking divisions to develop content and formulate marketing strategies.
Developed technology-based platform for aggregation, distribution, and monetization of multiple forms of investment research, including written reports, audio/video, social and expert networks, and outsourced company analysis.
Managed the Technology, Media, and Telecommunications practice for Western US at Gerson Lehrman Group, the world's largest independent primary research firm. GLG is a subscription-based service that connects asset managers to thought leaders in industry, technology, and the professions for the purpose of investment research and due diligence.
Personally supported over 500 individual clients across approximately 40 client firms representing the largest asset management firms on the West Coast. Clients include hedge funds, mutual funds, private equity firms, venture capital funds, and consulting firms.
Supervised a team of Research Managers supporting nearly 100 TMT client firms in the western states.
Increased annual TMT revenue from West Coast clients from less than $2.5M to greater than $4.0M via sales to new clients and upgrades to existing subscriptions.
Drove key initiative to increase usage of GLG service by private equity and venture capital clients that resulted in a 10-fold increase in the number of subscriptions and revenue from PE/VC funds.
Drove market positioning and sales of Applied Materials' Dielectric Chemical Vapor Deposition (DCVD) systems and solutions at major semiconductor manufacturers in the United States and Europe. Customers supported included IBM, STMicroelectronics, Philips Semiconductors, Freescale Semiconductor, etc.
Developed product penetration strategy, product placement and differentiation, pricing, negotiation, bookings and revenue forecasting, and competitive intelligence.
Coordinated activities of multiple product managers, sales associates, and support personnel and oversaw operations personnel to ensure correct configuration and on-time delivery of products.
Responsible for over $55M in new orders and $65M in revenue in Fiscal Year 2003.
Increased Dielectric CVD market share at IBM Microelectronics from <30% in 2002 to >90% in 2003, resulting in nearly $400M in new business for Applied Materials across all IBM technology alliance partners (AMD, Chartered Semiconductor, Samsung, Sony, and Toshiba)
• Directly supervised a team of “Total Product Support” engineers responsible for providing advanced technical expertise to field personnel supporting the Western Hemisphere installed-base of High-Density Plasma Chemical Vapor Deposition (HDP-CVD) semiconductor wafer processing equipment.
• Personal responsibilities included strategic planning, advanced technical support, contribution to strategic marketing decision-making, communication of technical issues to the product development organization, identification and elimination of flaws in equipment design, Installation and Warranty (I&W) budgeting and tracking.
• Held direct responsibility for the overall performance of a global installed base of over $1 billion worth of semiconductor equipment.
• Managed a key initiative resulting in a >40% net reduction in installation and warranty spending for new HDP-CVD equipment. This effort earned my team the Applied Materials Team Quarterly Award.
• Received Applied Materials Outstanding Contribution Award for leadership role in enhancing the value of Applied Materials Field Support at STMicroelectronics.
• Traveled extensively and lived abroad, often managing the team remotely from field offices in France and Italy.
• Developed expert-level knowledge of the High Density Plasma Chemical Vapor Deposition (HDP-CVD) process and the Applied Materials Ultima™ HDP-CVD system.
• Provided advanced technical support to Applied Materials customers worldwide.
• Received Applied Materials Outstanding Contribution Award for the extremely successful installation and startup of the first HDP-CVD system in the People's Republic of China
• Spent one year (1999-2000) in Singapore supporting the growth of the company’s business in Southeast Asia
Participated in "NCG", a highly selective six-month rotational training program for recent graduates from the top engineering universities in the United States.
Completed three five-week projects in engineering, manufacturing, and field sales organizations, as well as a six-month team capstone project.
1994 - 1998
Materials Science & Engineering
Creating a profile is quick, easy and free.